Bruce Trail Part 1


Scenario:
“An Ontario hiker has just completed a three-hour hike along this trail. At a number of picturesque locations, the hiker stopped to take photographs. The digital camera recorded the time each photograph was taken. The hiker wants to use these recorded times to pinpoint the locations on a map for a hiking club’s website. Over the three-hour period the hiker travelled nine kilometres and took 5 photographs. The hiker left the trailhead at 9:00 a.m. and took photographs at the following times:

• Photograph 1 9:15 a.m.
• Photograph 2 9:20 a.m.
• Photograph 3 10:25 a.m.
• Photograph 4 11:20 a.m.
• Photograph 5 11:56 a.m.

Task:
“How far is each photograph location from the trailhead, assuming the hiker walked at a steady pace?”

30 comments:

  1. Svetlana
    You could count by hours from the trailhead to the photograph location. And then add the minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica
      I agree because I also think that counting up is a quick, good, and effective way to solve the question and it will show you the right amount.

      Delete
    2. Zaira
      I agree because counting up is a way to get the right answer I also disagree because It is not the most affective way to do it

      Delete
    3. SHAYNE
      I agree because counting the hours is a good strategy to get the answer right away.

      Delete
  2. Veronica
    I think that you can subtract the time he took the picture from the time he left the trail head.
    For example 10:25(time picture was taken)-9:00 (time he left)=1:25min

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zaira
      I agree about this strategy because if you subtract the two numbers the answer will be the difference between the numbers and in this case the time

      Delete
  3. Miya
    I think when you put in a timeline it helps to measure the distance of the minutes, kilometres, and when he was taking pictures so you have an accurate picture in your head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camila
      i agree with Miya because it might be easier for people who have a hard time doing math in their head because you don't have to multiply or add or subtract to get the awnser because it is right there.

      Delete
    2. Alexander
      I agree with Miya because it would make it easier to see how far apart the times were between photos.

      Delete
    3. Veronica
      I also agree because it will be way easier to compare the numbers than doing it other ways like in your mind.

      Delete
  4. Joseph
    I agree with making a timeline. It would be like a number line where you could mark the hours and minutes in even spaces so you could tell the distance between the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SHAYNE
    I think that you should make a chart or table to help organize the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Svetlana
      I agree with you because it would be easy to organize the times. And it would be easy to out the time in order.

      Delete
    2. i agree because it'll be organized.

      Delete
    3. i agree because it will help be organized

      Delete
  6. Svetlana
    You could draw a lock to help you countn how many housr or minutes it has been.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Camila
    multiplication can help get the answer quickly for this question.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christian
    multiplication can help find the answer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christian
    multiplication can help find the answer

    ReplyDelete
  10. SHAYNE
    you could make a number line that shows the km,hours,photos and times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica
      I agree because a number line really helps make you get a better understanding and it shows info really well even by just looking at it.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. i agree to if you use a number line you can really keep track on the different parts of time and numbers.you can keep track of what you are doing.

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  11. anthony
    add the time beetween each photo???

    ReplyDelete
  12. you can use division to break up your numbers.it makes it a lot easier to work with your numbers

    ReplyDelete
  13. you can use a KWC chart to plan your strategies and break down the question.

    ReplyDelete
  14. using charts can really help with all the numbers and organizing them to make it more simple.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oliver
    i think division is really helpful to find the space between and how far from the trailhead

    ReplyDelete